DLL not working after confusing in ASP.NET

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
First off, let me start that this is a very promising, great project. Thumbs up!

I've been attempting to use Confuser to obfuscate a code library and an executable as part of our build process. The executable uses WCF (a standard service reference) and I've noticed that when using the max level, the WCF code gets broken. However, this was fixed when I changed the settings for the service reference to minimal confusion. Because this is easy to reproduce and probably a common problem, I wanted to share this.

The case of using the confused code library from ASP.NET seems to be another story. The code uses a lot of reflection code (let's just say that if it can be done from reflection I probably use it somewhere). Everything runs fine when I'm using normal unit tests, but the moment I attempt to use the library from ASP.NET it crashes with an ExecutionEngineException. I've attempted to narrow down the problem, but so far without any luck... at this point any ideas to find the problem are welcome.
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Small update: In an attempt to narrow it down, it seems the exception is not thrown when I use the 'minimum' level.
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Hey

Doesn't work for me as well, for any dll, on any mode but Minimal.
Keep getting System.ExecutionEngineException when trying to approach any code within obfuscated DLL.

Is there a solution?
Sep 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM
I too am having issues with obfuscated libraries. The library I obfuscate is .NET 4.0. Even when running on minimal settings, the output is produced, however, applications that use the library crash.
Sep 13, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I've tried all this for quite some time... also using .NET 4.0. What I did was use it as part of the deployment process, which obfuscates the DLL's just before it creates an installer. What I've encountered so far is:
  • Sometimes it works and everything goes according to plan
  • Sometimes it appears to work; but the moment I test the installer locally, the ExecutionEngineException is back
IMO the latter is even worse than the first.

I've did some debugging in the code in an attempt to solve the issues, but so far haven't found anything useful.

This, combined with the fact that things like reflection are a horror even at the minimum level (which was to be expected) let me to decide to abandon the project for now.

It's a nice project, and very promising, but my conclusion so far is that if you need a production obfuscator, you need to spend money.