Project with language resource files (DLLs) not working

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Hi,

I have a C# project in Visual Studio 2012, running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

My WinForms app comes with two languages - English and German.
Thus, in my Visual Studio project, I have two resource files (.resx) lang.resx (containing my default language, German) and lang.en-GB.resx (containing my optional language, English).

When I compile my project, VS creates two folders in my app project folder, "de_DE" and "en_GB", and copies DLL files containing the language stuff into those two folders (both named "app.resources.dll").

So far, so good. My app works well, when not "confused". When run on an English copy of Windows, it shows English text, when run on a German or any other language copy of Windows, it shows German text...

I am using confusor 1.9 (the latest, pre-compiled, downloadable .exe version).

When I add my "app.exe" and "de-DE\app.resources.dll" and "en-GB\app.resources.dll" to my confuser, the confusor will only generate 1 confused app.resources.dll - not two (one for each language / resource DLL).

Now, I found on the confuser CodePlex page under SOURCE CODE -> PATCHES a patch with ID 14664 by deepone_ which seems to address the problem I am likely to encounter when confuser tries to confuse two DLLs with the same name: it cannot copy them to the correct target subfolder...

I have tried to manually apply the patch (downloaded the text file with +/- changes) to the latest confuser sources and then compiled confuser with the patches/changes - but I can't get it to work.

Can anyone please supply me with a confuser .exe where the above patch has been applied, PLEASE?

I hope that this patch addresses the issues that I am having?!!

Thanks a lot in advance, Seb
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM
I have the same problem, were you able to find a solution?
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Hi,

yes, I found a solution meanwhile.

I am still using Confuser version 1.9.0.0.

Within Visual Studio 2012, I create a "Strong Name Key" and sign my application with that.
Within Confuser, I specify this Strong Name Key (using the file open dialog, browse to the *.snk file) and just run the confusion.

That was it. Maybe I did not read the freaking manual of the Confuser software carefully enough. However, this solves my problem - and hopefully also solves yours!

Cheers!